|Ali and me in Minnesota, July 2013|
My friend Ali is currently in Thailand doing mission work and just loving up on the people there. Ali is a seasoned traveler and missionary. When I saw her in July, I was delighted to hear all about her upcoming travels. Every time that Ali sets off for a new location, she blogs, chronicling her journeys and the amazing ways that God shows up. As I was reading her blog today, this question stood out to me:
I know my job in all of this. It's knowing that I am loved and It's knowing how to love. Asking the fabulous questions momma Heidi asked us while in Moz:
"What does love look like?"
I'm in a season of online dating, struggling with being single, and looking forward to eventually being a wife and a Mom. As soon as my eyes hit the words on the screen, I stopped and thought of all the ways I'm being loved during this season. Love looks like:
- Waking up to a text message from one of my dearest friends in New Jersey that immediately put at a smile on my face.
- PSL's from McDonalds, a trip to Hobby Lobby, and lots of chats with my second Mom.
- Taking care of me by spending the afternoon at the beach and reading.
- Turning my phone off before I go to bed.
- Skype date with two dear friends where we laugh, love and talk about the tough stuff.
- Saying no.
- Laughing so hard over dinner with the family that I almost fell out of the chair. Monty Python impersonations and Indian accents crack me up every single time.
- Tuesday work days at a nearby Starbucks.
- Learning how to knit.
- John Mayer, Mumford and Sons, and Phillip Phillips Pandora stations
- Going to bed early.
One of my goals this past summer was to be intentional in focusing on being grateful. As I write this list, I realize that a large part of my struggles the last few weeks was caused because I was choosing not to realize how much love there is in my life, no matter how it looks.