Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's All A Part of the Journey

I had lunch with my friend Wendy this past week. She is one of my favorite people in the whole world. Wendy along with her husband David, are two of my biggest encouragers. They think that I can do just about anything irregardless of whether or not I think I can actually do said thing. I love them for it.

While we were having lunch, Wendy pointed out that it was interesting how the things that we  loved to do as a child are the things that we are naturally good at as adults. This got me thinking. As a child, I was bossy and stubborn. I liked to do things my own way. I read a lot. I loved all things arts and crafts related. I played make believe all the time; mostly I was being "mommy", secretary, or teacher. I also enjoyed Barbies and had tons of them as well as a plethora of accessories for these dolls.

These musings are a great indicator of the person that I have become today and the dreams and aspirations that I hold. Who would have known I would later end up as a church secretary? I have a passion for learning and a desire to further my education. My Mother will still acount for the stubborn and bossy traits, along with being incredibly headstrong. My favorite hobbies include reading, photography, and paper crafting. All of those accessories that Barbie had have been translated into my ever growing personal wardrobe. I have always wanted to be a wife and a mom.

As a child, one thing that I always was able to clearly articulate was what I was going to be when I grew up. For a long time it was a teacher, then it was a fashion designer, then a larger sized model, and in later years a lawyer and a photojournalist for political campaigns. Now that I am at the age where I need to know where I am supposed to be going, I find that I really don't know what the next step is. Sure, I'm going to finish my degree, take a few years off, and go back to graduate school. But I don't know where it is that I want to end up in terms of a career.

I do know this for sure. God has a calling on my life. I know that I am supposed to be in ministry. I thrive on shepherding people and I love to be able to help others discover who He is. I couldn't dream of not working in a church. This evening David said to me that he knew for sure that I am destined for public leadership. I know that he is right. I know that God has me on an incredible path and I fearfully and excitingly look forward to seeing what that path is. I know that wherever I will go, that those traits that I had as a child will come along with me just like a suitcase full of clothes. And I know that whatever I'm doing  there'll be two people (besides my parents) knowing that I'll be able to successfully do what I was meant to do.

2 comments:

David Housholder said...

It's an honor to be a part of your journey.

Wendy Housholder said...

You can, and you will, do great things! And very stylishly as well, I might add ;-) Seriously...it's been such a delight to be your friend, and I can't wait to see what you end up doing!